Church Road Bridge (County Bridge #282) Replacement Project
Tredyffrin Township, Chester County, PA
TPD was selected by Chester County to provide Engineering Design Services associated with County Bridge No. 282, Church Road over Valley Creek in Tredyffrin Township. This project was performed as a “Local Lead” contract, where Chester County, the owner of the bridge, was the lead with the selection and administration of the contract, while all design submittals were required to be submitted and approved by PennDOT, based on the project funding that included local state and federal funds. TPD was able to balance the County’s needs/expectations with the required PennDOT requirements/ procedures, to successfully deliver this bridge project for the County.
The 30-foot span existing bridge consisted of concrete T-beams and concrete abutments, and was identified as structurally deficient, with a posted weight limit restriction of 20- tons. TPD provided complete engineering studies to determine the most cost-effective and aesthetically appealing structure to meet the transportation needs of the community and fit within the rural and historic setting. In addition to completing hydraulic studies and design, TPD also investigated various architectural treatments to match nearby historic properties/structures, resulting in the use of concrete formliners and concrete staining. Based on complex hydraulic conditions, the proposed structure consists of a 47-foot long, single-span prestressed concrete, spread box beam bridge. The replacement bridge will carry 2 lanes of traffic across Valley Creek, while eliminating the existing alignment/safety issues approaching and across the structure.
TPD provided the following services for this project:
- Wetland Identification and Delineation
- Type, Size & Location (TS&L) Studies to determine the most cost effective and aesthetically appealing structure type for the site.
- Hydraulic and Hydrologic Analyses to design an adequate bridge opening to maintain existing floodplain boundaries and to design appropriate stream protection measures for scour.
- Environmental Permitting:
- Preparation of a PADEP General Waterway Permit (GP-11)
- Preparation of Erosion and Sediment Pollution Control Plans
- Coordination of Cultural Resource studies, including study of nearby historic properties and conducting an archaeological investigation.
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management Plan
- Roadway Design and preparation of Roadway Construction Plans, Specifications and Cost Estimate
- Maintenance and Protection of Traffic Design and preparation of Traffic Control Plans
- Right-of-Way Plan and Property Plot Plan Preparation and Assisting County with ROW Negotiations
- Final Structure Design and preparation of Structure Plans and specifications
- Construction Cost Estimate
- Pre-bid Construction Schedule
Lemoyne Borough, Cumberland County, PA
Chester County, PA